tmux 1.9 released: A note for users/packagers
Thomas Adam
2014-02-20 21:50:40 UTC
All,

I've released tmux 1.9, please see the CHANGES file for a list of more
detailed changes. This time, I've tried to make things a little clearer
about some of the more important changes users will need to be aware of.

Note that tmux has undergone a protocol version bump. This is especially
important for any packagers of tmux in the various distributions since it
means that unless there is some warning/message given to the users when they
take 1.9, they will see an error from tmux when newer tmux clients try and
talk to an older tmux server. The "fix" for this is usually to restart the
tmux server; I'm hoping this is clear enough, and that this is propagated to
the user. Debian allows for this with changelogs, for example. I'm
assuming similar for other distros.

As usual, the tarball and associated changes can be found here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tmux/files/tmux/tmux-1.9/

Enjoy!

-- Thomas Adam
Guido Berhoerster
2014-02-20 23:07:42 UTC
Post by Thomas Adam
https://sourceforge.net/projects/tmux/files/tmux/tmux-1.9/
The tarball contains object files under compat/.
Guido Berhoerster
Thomas Adam
2014-02-20 23:16:56 UTC
Post by Thomas Adam
https://sourceforge.net/projects/tmux/files/tmux/tmux-1.9/
The tarball contains object files under compat/.a
Oh well. Fixed.

-- Thomas Adam
Dagobert Michelsen
2014-02-21 09:36:00 UTC
Hi Thomas,
Post by Thomas Adam
I've released tmux 1.9, please see the CHANGES file for a list of more
detailed changes. This time, I've tried to make things a little clearer
about some of the more important changes users will need to be aware of.
Excellent! The README currently states

"This release runs on OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Linux and OS X and may still
run on Solaris and AIX (although they haven't been tested in a while).“

Now that we have undergone all the changes needed for Solaris and have continuous
builds check that it stays compilable and have recent packages I suggest to be more
optimistic on Solaris runnability :-)

Best regards

— Dago
hubert depesz lubaczewski
2014-02-21 12:15:34 UTC
Post by Thomas Adam
talk to an older tmux server. The "fix" for this is usually to restart the
tmux server; I'm hoping this is clear enough, and that this is propagated to
the user. Debian allows for this with changelogs, for example. I'm
assuming similar for other distros.
Hi.
1. thank you - great news
2. is there a way to upgrade tmux without killing programs that run
under it?

depesz
Thomas Adam
2014-02-21 13:14:28 UTC
Post by hubert depesz lubaczewski
2. is there a way to upgrade tmux without killing programs that run
under it?
No, a protocol bump is a protocol bump and something we try and avoid
doing, but when we do, we batch together functionality so that it
doesn't need to happen too often.

-- Thomas Adam
Aaron Schrab
2014-02-21 13:31:41 UTC
Post by hubert depesz lubaczewski
2. is there a way to upgrade tmux without killing programs that run
under it?
In the past I've avoided the need to kill some programs being run in a
tmux session in this situation by using reptyr[1] to temporarily move
them out of tmux (to a screen session, pretty much my only use for that
in a while) before doing the upgrade. Then after the upgrade, once I
have the new server started, I again use reptyr to move the programs
back into tmux.

[1]: https://github.com/nelhage/reptyr
hubert depesz lubaczewski
2014-02-21 14:33:36 UTC
Post by Aaron Schrab
Post by hubert depesz lubaczewski
2. is there a way to upgrade tmux without killing programs that run
under it?
In the past I've avoided the need to kill some programs being run in
a tmux session in this situation by using reptyr[1] to temporarily
move them out of tmux (to a screen session, pretty much my only use
for that in a while) before doing the upgrade. Then after the
upgrade, once I have the new server started, I again use reptyr to
move the programs back into tmux.
[1]: https://github.com/nelhage/reptyr
Thanks. Didn't know about reptyr, will check.

Best regards,

depesz
Suraj Kurapati
2014-02-21 21:45:39 UTC
Post by Thomas Adam
I've released tmux 1.9, please see the CHANGES file for a list of more
detailed changes. This time, I've tried to make things a little clearer
about some of the more important changes users will need to be aware of.
Hurray! But this new feature was not mentioned in the CHANGES file:

commit c930fd5ff696f5a60e93ed503f0ff57e0bbf6e4d
Author: nicm <nicm>
Date: Tue Jan 28 22:19:17 2014 +0000

Remember the last active pane in the top-bottom or left-right cell so
that it can be restored when moving back to that cell with selectp
-L/-R/etc.
Thomas Adam
2014-02-21 22:33:28 UTC
Post by Thomas Adam
I've released tmux 1.9, please see the CHANGES file for a list of more
detailed changes. This time, I've tried to make things a little clearer
about some of the more important changes users will need to be aware of.
I don't list everything under the sun, I take a view to list those things I
think are more interesting generally.

-- Thomas Adam
Suraj Kurapati
2014-02-21 23:41:05 UTC
Post by Thomas Adam
I don't list everything under the sun, I take a view to list those things I
think are more interesting generally.
Fair enough. Thanks for your consideration.